Wills, Estates & the Elderly
We need to plan who will manage things for us if we are not capable of managing things ourselves. The older we are, the more important this becomes. SMR Legal’s estate lawyers provide a helping, trusted hand to deal with these issues:
- Preparation of Wills and Powers of Attorney (financial, medical, guardianship);
- The Administration of Deceased Estates (Probate and Letters of Administration);
- Investigating concerns about the care of the elderly or vulnerable;
- Assistance in assessing the capacity of a person to manage his or her finances or lifestyle;
- Making applications to VCAT for appointment of an Administrator or Guardian;
- Assistance in understanding and formalising the transfer of assets from one generation to another and the impact on social security, including moving from the family home to retirement village, independent living or supported accommodation; and
- Liaising with medical staff, carers and financial service providers.
Clients of SMR Legal’s estate lawyers say they appreciate not only the expert level of advice and advocacy provided by our lawyers, but also the compassion and warmth demonstrated in dealing with sensitive situations. SMR Legal deliver information and advice in plain English and take action in an efficient and timely manner.
Please feel free to ask us a question and we will be happy to discuss your needs.
See also information at the Office of the Public Advocate www.publicadvocate.vic.gov.au.
Our lawyers are assisted by experienced probate clerk Elishia Davkovski.